- Next General Election or Primary: Tuesday, March 1, 2016
- Deadline to register to vote: Monday, February 8, 2016
- Deadline for absentee ballot by mail application: 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, February 23, 2016
- Deadline for absentee ballot by appearing in-person: 5:00 p.m. Saturday, February 27, 2016
Virginia law allows you to vote in only one political party primary election when multiple political party primary elections are held on the same day. Each primary has a separate ballot listing different candidates. The voter must indicate which ballot he would like to receive.
Voters in the March 1st Presidential Primary are not required to sign a Statement of Affiliation to vote.
Remember your Registration Deadlines
|General Elections||22 Days before election|
|Primary Elections||22 Days before election|
|Special Elections||13 Days before election|
|Special Elections (Called by the Governor)||7 Days before election|
Improve your Chances of Successful Registration
- Complete all information blocks on the application. If any information requested does not apply to you, indicate such by writing the word “NONE” or “NA” in that space.
- Sign and date the registration application.
- Submit your completed application by mailing it to the appropriate address listed on the application, or delivering it to your local registration office.
Failure to complete the form properly could result in your registration being delayed or denied.
Register to Vote!
- How do I become a Registered Voter?
- How do I view or change my Voter Information?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Photo IDs are required to Vote
- Military and Overseas registration
- Restoration of Rights
- Voters with Special Needs
- Voting Information for College Students
- Voter’s Rights and Responsibilities
- Voter Registration Drives
- Voter Forms
- Designated State Agencies for Voter Registration
- Voting Systems
- Voter Complaints