To be Eligible to Register to Vote in Virginia a Person must:
- Be a resident of Virginia (a person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes).
- Be a U. S. Citizen.
- Be 18 years old (any person who is 17 years old and will be eighteen years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election).
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state.
- Not currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law.
- If convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored.
Persons Eligible to Register can Obtain a Registration Application at any of the Following Locations:
- Register Online
- Local voter registration office
- Download a PDF copy of the registration form
- State or local government offices when applying or re-certifying for Aid to Dependent Children, Food Stamps, WIC, Medicaid, or Rehabilitation Services
- Government offices in the State that provide State-funded programs primarily engaged in providing services to person with disabilities
- Armed forces recruitment offices
- Public libraries
- Virginia Department of Elections office
- Department of Motor Vehicles offices
- Voter Registration Drives
The completed application can be filed with the local registration office or mailed to the address printed on the form. Application for registration can be submitted using a Virginia Voter Registration Application form or a National Voter Registration Application form. Military and other persons residing outside of the United States should contact the Federal Voting Assistance Program for registration information.
Once you have submitted your registration form, you should receive a voter registration card in the mail. If you do not receive one, contact your local Registrar’s Office to make sure that your application has been processed.
|General||22 Days before election|
|Primary||22 Days before election|
|Special||13 Days before election|
|Special (Called by the Governor)||7 Days before election|
Registration Deadlines for the Tuesday, November 3, 2015 General Election
- Registration Deadline: Tuesday, October 13, 2015
- Absentee by Mail Application Deadline: Tuesday, October 27, 2015
- Absentee In-Person Application Deadline: Saturday, October 31, 2015
Improve your Chances of Successful Registration:
- Complete all information blocks on the application. If any information requested does not apply to you, indicate such by writing the word “NONE” or “NA” in that space.
- Sign and date the registration application.
- Submit your completed application by mailing it to the appropriate address listed on the application, or delivering it to your local registration office.
Failure to complete the form properly could result in your registration being delayed or denied. Note that you must provide your Social Security number, if any, when applying to register to vote in Virginia. Therefore, if you do not provide your Social Security number, your application for voter registration will be denied. State and local voting officials will use your Social Security number as a unique identifier to insure that no person is registered in more than one place. Records containing your Social Security number will not be open to inspection by the public. Your Social Security number will appear on reports produced only for official use by voter registration and election officials, and for jury selection purposes by courts.
Where to Send Your Completed Application
The Voter Registration Application is pre-addressed and can be mailed via the U.S. postal service or hand-delivered to any official registration office.
- If mailed, the application must be postmarked no later than the deadline.
- If delivered in person, either by the applicant or a third party, the application must be received by the deadline. On the final day of registration for an election all general registrar offices close at 5:00 p.m.
- Applications postmarked or received after the deadline will be held and processed after the election.
- For questions concerning completing the application and voting on Election Day, call your local registration office.
- Check your voter registration record online.
- For other questions contact the Virginia Department of Elections.