References and Election Laws
Regulations and Guidance Documents
- Virginia Administrative Code (Agency 20)
- State Board of Elections Guidance Documents
- State Board of Elections Pending Regulatory Actions
Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA)
When was the final plan adopted?
The 2012 HAVA state plan was adopted at the March 20, 2012 meeting of the Virginia State Board of Elections following an opportunity for public review and comment.
What is the Help America Vote Act?
The Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA) is a federal law that created minimum standards for election administration following the 2000 Presidential election. For more information regarding HAVA and for the full text of the law, please visit the U.S. Election Assistance Commission.
What is a HAVA state plan?
Every state received federal grant funds under HAVA to implement the requirements of the law and improve the administration of federal elections. In order to receive the funding, each state had to create and maintain a plan for how the federal funds would be utilized by the state.
Where can I view the prior HAVA state plan for Virginia?
You can view the 2003 state plan and the 2005 and 2006 amendments through the following links:
- Virginia State Plan for HAVA Implementation (.pdf)
- 2005 Amendments to State Plan (.pdf)
- 2006 Amendment to State Plan (.pdf)
Recounts and Contests
- Virginia Recounts and Contests – The Basics (.pdf)
- Ballot Examples for Hand Counting Ballots (.pdf)
- Recount Step by Step Instructions (.pdf)
State Board of Election Policies
- SBE Policy 2015-001 – Electronic Participation in Meetings (.pdf)
- SBE Policy 2014-004 – Voting Equipment Certification Procedures (.pdf)
- SBE Policy 2010-003 – Current Candidate Filings (.pdf)
- SBE Policy 2010-002 – Training Standards (.pdf)
- SBE Policy 2010-001 – Delinquent Civil Penalties (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2009-002 – Display Campaign Material (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2009-001 – Voting Equipment Security (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2009-006 – Provisional Ballots (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2009-003 – Voter History Include Absentee (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-013 – Calculation of Voters Voting in Precinct (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-011 – Definition of Unavailable Voting Equipment (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-007 – Definition of “Exhibit Other Campaign Materials” (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-005 – Reproduction of Optical Scan Ballots (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-004 – Definition of Inoperable Equipment (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-003 – Certification of Unknown Vice-Presidential Nominees (.pdf)